1908 - The Chicago Milk Commission was established to combat the consumption of unpasteurized milk, a common cause of infant death. The Commission set up “milk stations” for dispensing free fresh milk to mothers of infants.
1911 - Volunteer nurses, physicians and women from throughout the city who worked at these stations formed The Infant Welfare Society of Chicago (IWS) and expanded their work to include infants exams and educating mothers about infant care.
1913 - The Auxiliary of IWS was founded.
1950 - IWS achieved national recognition for instituting a preschool program for emotionally disturbed children.
1957 - The Wheaton Chapter was founded.
1970 - IWS consolidated its operations into one facility located at 1931 North Halsted Street.